Office of International Relations


A. Categories of Accommodations

  1. University Dormitories for International Students
    You need to apply through OSTA(Online System for UTokyo Accommodations) . You are unable to apply to the dormitory directly.
    You have chances to apply twice a year:
    at the end of January for April moving-in
    at the beginning of July for October moving-in.
    Please be reminded that once you lived in one of these dormitories, you are not eligible to apply again for other dormitories in this category.
    1. International Lodge--Komaba Lodge Main,B,C,D,Annex(single)
      4-6-29 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-0041
      Tel: 03-3485-1980
    2. International Lodge--Shirokanedai Lodge(single, couple, family)
      4-6-41 Shirokanedai, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-0071
      Tel: 03-3473-5336
    3. International Lodge--Kashiwa Lodge(single, couple, family)
      6-2-1 Kashiwano-ha, Kashiwa, Chiba 277-0882
      Tel: 047-135-1771
    4. Mitaka International Hall of Residence(single)
      6-22-20 Shinkawa, Mitaka-shi, Tokyo 181-0004
      Tel: 0422-43-4961
    5. Toshima International Hall of Residence(single, male only)
      2-31-7 Nishi-Sugamo, Toshima-ku, Tokyo 170-0001
      Tel: 03-39115-3652
    6. Oiwake International Hall of Residence (single)
      1-12-8 Mukougaoka, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0023
      Tel: 03-3830-8961
  2. JASSO (Japan Student Services Organization) Dormitories
    1. Tokyo International Exchange Center(single, couple, family)
      2-79 Aomi, Koto-ku, Tokyo 135-0064
      Tel: 03-5520-6000
      You only are able toapply through your department office
  3. University Dormitories (single) (It was closed September 2010)
    These dormitories are prepared for Japanese undergraduates, but you are able to apply for stay. Most of rooms must be shared. Each dormitory accepts the application but research students are not eligible to apply.
  4. Dormitories of Private Companies
    Some Japanese companies lease a number of their dormitory rooms to international students at a low rent. Application period will be announced through your department office.
    • Inquiry:
      International Support Group (1F, Go Global Center)
      ※The @ in the e-mail address is written as (at). Please rewrite it when you send the message.
  5. Dormitories managed by Foundations or Public Organizations
    1. Asia Bunka Kaikan (ABK) (students from Asia, Africa and Middle&South America)
    2. Koraku-ryo, Nicchu Yuko Kaiakan (Chinese students)
      1-5-3 Koraku, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-0004
      Tel: 03-3811-5309
    3. Rikko Kaikan (single, family)
    4. Wakei Juku (single male)
  6. Apartment House managed by Urban Renaissance Agency
    1. Monbu-Kagakusho Scholarship students and those who are granted the same or more amounts from other foundations are able to apply for a public apartment. The limit of rent is decided by the monthly income totaled incomes of all residents who live together with you. Your monthly income must be four times of the rent. In case of Monbu-Kagakusho scholarship students (amount of stipend is 148,000 yen), the limit of rent is about 37,000 yen.
    2. When you make a contract, you have to prepare the following:
      • Rent---One month's rent (at a daily rate)
      • Fee for general service---One month's fee (at a daily rate)
      • Deposit---Three months' rent
      • Total---Four months' rent + one month's fee for general service
    3. Requirements
      • Certificate of Registered Matter issued by the municipal office
      • Fee for general service---One month's fee (at a daily rate)
      • Certificate of Scholarship or Certificate of Income
      • Hanko (Seal)
    4. Inquiry and Applyin
      5F, West 1 Fujihisa Bldg. from West Exit of Ikebukuro Station
      Tel: 03-3989-8171
      Office hours: 9:30-18:00
      Office is closed on every Wednesdays and national holidays.
    5. You are able to check the vacant room Information through internet (in Japanese).
  7. Student Houses managed by Companies Short-term stay is acceptable.
    1. Azalea House
    2. TamaEsty Apartment Complex (near to Komaba campus)
    3. Green Peace Tokyo (close to Hongo campus)
      3-26-8 Nishigahara, Kita-ku, Tokyo
      TEL/FAX:03-3940-3049 Email:green.peace1984(at)
      ※The @ in the e-mail address is written as (at). Please rewrite it when you send the message.
  8. Accommodations for Short-term Stay
    1. J&F PLAZA
    3. Top Business Support Co.Ltd.
  9. Apartment House B. Apartment House

B. Apartment House

  1. How to look for a room
    Most of international students have to live in private apartment houses because of the limit of rooms in dormitories. The popular way of finding a room is to visit a real estate agent, but when you rent a room through the real estate agent, you have to pay a brokerage fee (amount of one month's rent) to the agent additionally. Usually apartments are not furnished in Japan.
    You are able to look for a room for rent on and off the campus:
    1. International Students and Researchers Supports Group (1F, Student Support Center)
    2. University CO-OP (office hours: Mon-Fri, 11:00-18:00; located beside the entrance of Gotenshita Memorial Arena), Tel: 03-5684-9657
    3. Kyoritsu Maintenance
    4. Others:
      • Miyazawa Real Estate (South Exit of Kameari Sta., JR/Chiyoda Line)
        3-30-1 Kameari, Katsushika-ku, Tokyo 125-0061 Tel: 03-3601-0126
      • Iwasawa Real Estate (South Exit of Kameari Sta., JR/Chiyoda Line)
        3-8-2 Kameari, Katsushika-ku, Tokyo 125-0061 Tel: 03-3603-0234
  2. Joint Surety
    1. When you rent a room of private apartment house, you usually need a "Joint Surety", but you may be difficult to find an appropriate person as a joint surety. The University of Tokyo has a system whereby the University of Tokyo will become a joint surety for international students under certain conditions.
    2. When the University of Tokyo acts as a guarantor, you have to join the fire and housing insurance for international students. Besides, some articles must be written on the contract for rent. We strongly advise you to visit the Student Exchange Division for the details before making a contract.
    3. In case of room sharing,the University of Tokyo accepts to become a guarantor when you share a room with an international student who is registering at UTokyo.
  3. Comprehensive Renter's Insurance for Foreign Students
    Signing up for this policy provides protection against certain damages, such as fire, and it also protects your guarantor against unexpected trouble.
    Please be reminded that you have to sign up again when you move into a new apartment house.