FAQ for Prospective Students

Admission Process

Q. Where can I find information on the admission process for international students?

A. There are two kinds of admission processes available: a regular one and a special admission for "English Program on Intelligent Information Processing". See this page for the regular admission process and this one for the special admission.

Q. I am a foreign student, living outside Japan. May I enroll in October if I pass the summer entrance exam in August?

A. Yes, but please note that you may not be able to come to Japan in time of the start of new semester, because it will take about 2-3 months for you to get a student visa. Therefore, we strongly recommend you to choose April enrollment.


Q. Where can I find information about scholarships for international students?

A. Please consult this page.

Q. Are all students guaranteed the MEXT scholarship if they are foreign students?

A. No, not all foreign students are guaranteed the MEXT scholarship. Please refer to this site about the MEXT scholarship. If you need further information about scholarships, please consult the Office of International Relations.

Finding supervisors

Q. How can I find a prospective supervisor?

A. You can find the names of professors in each research field on this page. You should then contact professors of your interest via emails.

Q. Should I contact my prospective professors in advance?

A. It depends on which department you are going to apply to. Please carefully read the admission guide of the department you prefer and follow the guideline.


Q. Are there any courses offered in English?

A. The courses offered in English are found on this page.

Q. How can I find the details of each course?

A. Please visit the UTokyo Online Course Catalogue, and follow the following procedure:

  1. Select the "Graduate" tab.
  2. Select "Information Science and Technology” from the pull-down menu.
  3. Enter any keyword of your research field, course titles, or course codes; then you can view the details of each course, including the language used in the course.

Q. Do you offer a part-time study program?

A. No. We offer a Long-Term Completion System instead.

Information about Past Exams

Q. Where can I find the problems of past exams?
A. They are available here.

International Research Students

Q. What is an international research student, and how can I apply for it?

A. Please check this page.

Prospective Students