II．Which Professor to take academic instruction under
(2) When you choose your department and professor at IST, please contact the professor via email as required. We recommend you attach your research program and a copy of your transcripts when you contact your professor so that the professor understands who you are.
[For research student candidates only]
When you receive the informal acceptance from your professor, please forward the acceptance email to the Office of International Relations (OIR).
② Start as a Master / Doctoral student.
- A research student means “a candidate of Master / Doctoral student.” You can prepare for the entrance examination for 6 months under your professor in UT. During this period, you also can learn Japanese which you will need in your daily life and lab.
- A Master / Doctoral student means “a proper Master / Doctoral student.” To become a proper student, you have to come to Japan once just for one-day entrance examination. It means, you have to pay for your plane tickets and accommodation just for the exam. If you pass the examination, that’s fine. However, if you fail the examination, all money you paid for the exam will have been wasted. So we don’t recommend this unless you have full confidence in passing the exam, nor you don’t mind the money.
Consequently, most international students choose to start as a Research Student. In addition, Research Students can take instruction preparing for the entrance examination from their professors.
When you pass the MEXT exam, please send us following documents:
- Certificate of your passing preliminary selection by the embassy
- Copy of your application documents which you submitted to the embassy
- Copy of your transcripts
- Copy of your degree certificate
Office of International Relations
Graduate School of Information Science and Technology
The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656
Engineer Building8, 1F